Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Welcome to Santa Barbara

11/2/11
On days like today I love waking up before sunrise. On this morning I really took notice to how shapes appear out of the darkness, and minute by minute those shapes turn into bushes and trees and rocks and things. Gradually everything began to appear in its essential form and become a little more recognizable, until the sun finally crept over the jagged horizon and illuminated everything below casting mountainous shadows across Lake Cachuma. The sky, indecisive of whether it was turning pink or purple or blue, was brilliant and I was once again pleased with my campsite and the sunrise.

I was eating the last of the food in my bag as I watched the day begin, which consisted of a banana and a few crackers with honey. I would definitely have to get some more food as soon as possible. I was still a bit hungry after my small breakfast, but figured that it would nourish me until I could get something more substantial. I hit the road right away, as I wanted to get into Santa Barbara as soon as possible. A few people had said good things about the area, and I wanted to have a little bit of time to cruise around and check out the town.

As soon as I got onto the highway I realized that riding east at sunrise on a busy road was probably a bad idea, so I took a rest at the lake marina. There was a store near the marina but it wouldn't open until 9am. I waited for the sun to get a little higher in the sky before returning to highway 154, and at about 8am I headed east again. The road was full of hills and I was rode up and over hills, but was gradually climbing overall. It was a great way to stay warm but honesty, the next few hours were tough. I was hungry and climbing. Eventually I came to road that offered an alternate route off the main highway, and I was happy to take it as there was a lot of commuter traffic. The road was an old stagecoach route which led to a historic restaurant and general store. I though I was saved from my hunger, but neither opened until 11am which was still an hour away.

After talking to somebody who was getting ready to open the restaurant I learned that the climb was almost over, and after that it was just a few more miles downhill until I reached town. I climbed the last bit slowly, but eventually reached the top of San Marcos pass. At about 2200ft, it was now about 10:30 and I looked down on Santa Barbara and the ocean and knew that I'd be able to eat soon. Food had been on my mind all morning.

I found a little cafe so I got a small coffee and a breakfast bagel. I was a totally shocked when the total came to $10, but would've paid twice that just to eat. It was a good warning of the local prices, and I planned to buy some groceries whenever I found a good spot.

Now that I was fueled up I headed straight for the beach, which has a wonderful bike path, and rode along the path for several miles. Santa Barbara has a wonderful beach area, and I was surprised to see few people out on this Tuesday afternoon. On the east side I found a shady spot near the volleyball courts and took a nap on the beach.

On my way to BiciCentro, which is part of the Santa Barbara Bike Coalition, I stopped at Tri-County Produce to get food. I was meeting my WarmShowers host, Mark, at BiciCentro where he was volunteering. I was also hoping to find a cheap replacement pedal for my bike since the incessant clicking of the past 200 miles didn't seem to be getting any better. After meeting Mark, who was super friendly and seemed to be a very kind and gentle soul, I dug through a drawer of old pedals. I came up empty handed, but Mark recommended a bike shop that was on the way to his house where I could probably find what I was looking for.

After spending too much money and too much time at the bike shop, I headed over to meet Mark and his wife Nancy at their place. At least I had fixed my annoying pedal and it's incessant clicking. I planned on donating my pedals to BiciCentro, along with a pair of extra brake levers that I had removed back in Arroyo Grande. Mark and Nancy have a wonderful 1920's craftsman house that reminded me a lot of Portland. Thanks to their hospitality I felt right at home. They made a wonderful dinner of salmon, ribs, a tomato/avocado salad and some cous-cous. It was good, healthy cycling food.

We talked some more after eating and they asked if I had decided on my route off the coast yet. I still wasn't sure, but we discussed options: 1) Ride to Los Angeles and find a ride to either Flagstaff, AZ or Phoenix, AZ. 2) Cut east at Ventura and ride through the desert and eventually over to Flagstaff, AZ. 3) Finish the coast down to San Diego, and then cut east and do the entire Southern Tier bike route from San Diego, CA to St Augustine, FL. All options had their advantages and disadvantages, but Option 3 seemed the most interesting. As we discussed the options Nancy wondered if she still had her maps from when she did the Southern Tier. She went to the garage and quickly returned with an envelope full of maps. She still had them! She said that they might be outdated, but that she didn't plan on doing it again and told me I could have them if I wanted. What generosity! I gladly accepted them and figured they would come in handy no matter which option I choose.

I think we stayed up later than any of us had planned just talking, laughing, and playing music. I'm very thankful to have met such warm people, and I'm always glad to make more cycle tourist friends. I slept well, finding myself once again indoors, yet I was still uncertain which route I'd be taking off of the California coast.

Miles: 40 miles

RRD: A baby walker (no, not of the Texas Ranger variety)

-D






No comments:

Post a Comment