Sunday, October 9, 2011

There is sand in my tires!

10/8/11
Despite waking up half wet on the side of the road, I had a feeling that today was going to be a good day. I finished packing up camp and hit the road just as the sun was coming up. Thanks tonmy grueling night of deciding to ride uphill, I had about 3 full miles of downhill cruising. As I past again through the dunes that I found beautiful the night before, I realized how much more impressive they were in the morning light. Breathing in the cool ocean air I looked out toward the direction I was heading and could see nothing but white clouds and blue skies ahead.

The first 3 miles was backtracking from the night before, then I turned down Sand Lake Rd and headed for Pacific City. Much to my chagrin I noticed that there was camping not 2 miles up the road; a very flat road. Come to find out I would have been just fine heading the direction I needed to the night before. So it goes. It may have been a better experience seeing Sand Lake Rd in the light, thanks to it's beauty. Rolling farmland turns soon into saltwater marsh and I saw an egret fly by as I passed by Whalen Island. About 8 miles into my morning ride I get my first glimpse of the ocean. This to me is a symbol of the progress I'm making and the excitement pushes me quickly up the hill leading to Cape Kiwanda. From the top I can look over Pacific City and the Oregon Coast's iconic haystack rock. Yeah, today will be a beautiful day.

While looking for a place to get breakfast in Pacific City, I was drawn to a small restaurant/bakery with about 12 cats hanging around out front. The interior was filled from floor to ceiling with halloween decorations, and the kitchen was in plain sight. As I sat at a small table, alone in the small room, I briefly had the feeling that I was eating breakfast at a friends house.

Having already made it 10 miles before breakfast, I was now fueled up for the day ahead of me. As I headed around Nestucca Bay and down past the town of Neskowin I was awed by the wondrous coastline and thrilled with the dry weather I was riding in. Yesterday was gone, and I remembered anew why I was doing what I was doing.

Just past Neskowin, the Oregon Coast Bike Route shoots out east off of the 101, and although I was a little discouraged adding miles I was hopeful that it was worth it...and worth it it was! Since I hardly noticed the gradual incline, I focused my energy on taking in the beautiful sights that the Siuslaw National Forest has to offer. Before I knew I had summited which offered me the chance to cruise breakless through the trees for several miles down the snakey road until I eventually met back up with hwy 101.

Coming into Lincoln City the sun was shinning brighter and hotter than ever that day so I decided to stop for lunch and trade my pants for shorts. I ate my food at a beach that was hosting a kite festival, which provided for good people watching. I've never been much into kites, but there were some impressive flyers and some world champion kites there which I enjoyed seeing. While there an older couple approached me and asked about my journey. They told me that they had just ridden from Victoria, BC and that they were originally planning on going to San Diego. They told me a story about getting run off the road by a logging truck, and that they were so shook up that they would probably be heading back home in a couple of days. I took this as a warning, and as we parted ways they wished me a safe journey.

As headed down the road out of Lincoln City I noticed a mysterious figure on a bicycle gradually getting closer and closer, so I pulled over and was pleased to meet a fellow bicycle tourist. His name was Paul and had been cycling since Anchorage, AK. I asked him if he wanted to ride together, and so we were off. It was nice to have somebody to chat with as we took in the sights. I'm coming to find that although I'm traveling alone, I dont have to be alone if I don't want. If it's not for other cyclists, there's always curious locals ready to spark up a conversation wherever I stop. It seems like people young and old are interested in hearing where I'm going, what I'm doing, and how long I've been traveling. I think I'm soon going to get a lot better at telling my story.

The day ended at Devil's Punchbowl just a bit north of Newport, OR. The sun was getting ready to set and I was getting ready to set up camp. Paul and I rode over to Beverly Beach State Park, stayed in the hiker/biker camp area and took our stuff out of our bags to set out and dry a bit. I was happy to finally stay at a place that would allow me to get a warm shower in. After cleaning up a bit, making some dinner, and repacking my stuff it was time for bed. Just as I was getting into my hammock tent, I heard the sound of rain in the distance and within a few seconds the rain was tapping on my rainfly. It was a soothing sound that serenaded me into a deep sleep. Maybe it's because I was fatigued, or maybe it was because I actually had my camp set up nicely, but so far that was the best sleep of the trip.

Progress: another 60 miles

Random Road Debris: a baby stroller

-D

Reminder: http://www.trackmytour.com/b5k7d





No comments:

Post a Comment