Wednesday, October 26, 2011

SF!

10/21/11
Waking up in the redwoods has got to be one of the most refreshing ways to wake up that I know of. There's something truly rejuvenating about sleeping all night in the fresh air and cool canopy cover of these ancient giants. I felt ready to take on the world. I suppose the amazing dinner and night before didn't hurt either. We decided that after packing up our things we would sit among the redwoods and eat some breakfast before hitting the road. I don't know if I've mentioned it, but one of my tips for a quick road breakfasts is to fill several ziplock bags with about a cup of granola each, and then cover them with some nonfat dry milk. Then just add water when you're hungry, and you can eat it right out of the bag.

With our bellies full James as I headed toward the city. Not too far down the road we got to Fairfax, CA and settled on Peet's coffee to get our daily dose of caffeine and pastries and WiFi. Fairfax seems like a nice place to live, probably expensive, but a pleasant lifestyle. Just a 30 minute drive north and you're in a small coastal town without any WiFi, but just a 30 minute drive south and you're in the heart of SF.

From Fairfax, things got a little weird. My bike commuting app took us on an odd route, one where we ended up too far east and had to back track over some hills in order to head south to Sausalito. We eventually found a bike trail that took us to Mill Valley where we stopped to eat some lunch in a park, and then continued down the path south. Right on the edge of Sausalito lies an interesting bike shop, named Renovo, that builds hardwood framed bicycles. They are just absolutely beautiful bikes, and while we drooled over these expensive two wheeled machines I learned that the company is actually based out of Portland. I figure they must have to sell them in the money laden bay area since very few people in Portlandia are able to shell out the $3500+ for these gorgeous bikes. Anyway, if you have the time, check out the website: www.RenovoBikes.com.

In Sausalito I stopped for ice cream at Lappert's and watched a man balance rocks in seemingly impossible ways with the bay and the city as a backdrop. It was a beautiful day, and I reminisced about riding across the Golden Gate Bridge for the first time in the summer 2010. He I was now, with 800 miles behind me about to cross it again and finally enter San Francisco.

In a way, the trip to SF was a bit of a test run for me. I felt if I could make it this far, then I should be able to make it to New Orleans. I felt accomplished. Here I was, after thinking about this stretch of highway for 10 years, finally fulfilling my goal. It's funny how inspired I now feel to continue to New Orleans, and accomplish yet another goal.

The weather in SF was amazing. Sun shining bright and perfect 68F degree biking weather. While passing through the wharf we found two rear wheels, in great condition with Shimano hubs just sitting on the side of the road next to the trash. The scavenger in me decided to take them, if nothing else I could sell them on craigslist for a few bucks, and we found a way to strap them onto the back of my bike. From there James and I stopped at a pho place in Chinatown and each killed a giant bowl of soup. From there we cruised through chinatown past a live band playing some very foreign instrument, to the Embarcadero where people poured out of the clubs on this Friday night, and finally to the CalTrains station where we would be catching a train to Redwood City. The CalTrains station in SF never fails to be interesting, with drunk college kids finishing a 12-pack in the terminal mingling with homeless people who are also looking for a place offthe street to drink. I guess rules are pretty relaxed for CalTrains, where there's no problem having an open container both on the train and in the terminal. You just can't leave the terminal with your drink, gotta finish it there before walking down the street.

Eventually the train came, and it was a quick 45 minute ride to Redwood City, where We headed to my dad's place to sleep on a cushioned surface in a warm and dry environment. You know, the way most people are used to doing things.

Miles: 50

RRD: wet socks

-D
http://www.trackmytour.com/b5k7d





No comments:

Post a Comment